Four channel video installation of portrait video interviews of NYPD officers at the SVA NY Alumni Gallery 2014

All images © Monique Pelser 2014

YOU CAN VIEW THE VIDEOS HERE:

https://vimeo.com/107904078
https://vimeo.com/112994947
https://vimeo.com/110904365
https://vimeo.com/108329549


Above is an installation shot of the screening of four of the video interviews I made of NYPD officers.  
The screening was at the School of Visual Arts Alumni Gallery on the 2nd floor 214 East 21st Street, New York from September 14th - September 26th 2014.

During the PhotoGlobal residency programme I was awarded in 2012/13 I worked with a number of New York City police officers.  These four portraits are an example of the footage I captured after long conversations with the officers.  

I went through a timeous process of sending interview questions, striking up email correspondence and then meeting in person over coffee or drinks and getting to know each other, I then went to each officer's domestic environment and spent some time with them before filming. I was fortunate to work in independent study with Richard Pepperman at the SVA film school who met with me weekly teaching me how to engage further with and develop the project.  I have opted to use a very direct cut and paste method of editing. 

This work was made as a way of exploring the dynamic between myself, the sitter, the camera and by extension the viewer (I work alone without any assistants). Doing so I have set up a triangle where I have sat away from the camera creating a sense that the viewer is privy to our conversation.  This work is due to be installed on TV monitors in police station charge offices in South Africa.

The next leg of this work takes me to South Africa working with and filming the South African Police. 


Inline image 5
Gary and Anne 2013
Digital video installation duration 11:09



Inline image 6
Jaysen 2012 
Digital video installation duration 17:10



Inline image 7
Vic and Jo 2013
Digital video installation duration 21:13



Inline image 8
Stephen and Gail 2013
Digital video installation duration 19:58

Comments