http://artthrob.co.za/2015/12/11/best-of-the-year-artthrobs-lists/

http://artthrob.co.za/2015/12/11/best-of-the-year-artthrobs-lists/

Anna Stielau
Top 3 exhibitions of the year (in no particular order)
Penny Siopis’s ‘Time and Again’
Kemang wa Lehurere’s ‘History will break you heart’
Monique Pelser’s ‘Conversations with my father’
I think they speak for themselves.
Artwork of the year
Kemang we Lehurere’s The Bird Lady in Nine Layers of Time. I don’t have a witty reason. I just liked this piece – which is about the r(e)discovery of Gladys Mgudlandlu’s wall murals in Gugulethu – very much.
Favourite art-related text you’ve read this year
I’m doing a masters, which has pretty much purged me of pleasure reading. But I guess most recently Maggie Nelson’s ‘The Art of Cruelty: A Reckoning’. She writes criticism like it’s poetry.
Most FOMO event of 2015? (ie event you most regret missing)
The African Futures conference. Man, this just looked so wonderful.
Most wtf art moment of the year
The ongoing delays in Zwelethu Mthethwa’s trial. Is that an art moment? It’s art-adjacent. And awful.



Comments