The Art of Well-being Part:3 making love out of nothing at all

I'm following this one super sassy on-line Entrepreneur who speaks to an abundant mindset: she talks about making choices that represent that ultimate abundance one wishes to have.  

For me, it's good quality things, especially, in an ever increasing low-quality-for-high-prices life. I seem to be turning more and more into the hypothetical grandma who makes granadilla cordial from the fruit growing in the streets out here in Cape Town and who air dries flower petals. 

In South Africa we have farm stalls on the side of the roads in more rural areas, which are usually filled with local produce and what the farmer's wife chooses to make.  Her Home Industry, which we call Tuisnywerheid, is the best!

I simply like nice home-crafted things around me, they make me feel better.  I love wooden furniture helping me feel grounded, the smells from when the oven is on - all warm and baking something - and the scrappy funky look of a mended something.  More authentic. 

The other day I was listening to the Entrepreneur telling me how to make myself wealthy and lead an abundant lifestyle.  I parked my car and looked up to see that, now at the end of the winter season, my neighbours tree was swelling with ripe lemons.  I dashed him a message and asked him if I could pick some. He said to please help myself and he doesn't use them at all.  I got very excited and took a bag full of lemons home. 

Later that day I dashed onto marketplace and found a used electric squeezer and I bought it.  I squeezed the bag of lemons, grated the rind and had 3 litres of lemon and boiled 1 part lemon juice to one part sugar and bam: cordial. It was such a mission and my fingers got wrinkled from the lemon juice and at one point I thought - what the damn hell have I done- but this cordial tastes gooooooood! I was also really chuffed because I couldn't eat/ drink more local if I tried to.

Often to process information I go into the kitchen and cook it was then that I realised that using the lemons down the road was abundance practice, it's that simple. To use the resources at your disposal. 

I think creative practice is abundance practice and everyone can do it, make something of their environment.  I think we detach from our environment somewhere along the line and feel lack but looking around there is a lot a lot a lot around us even when we don't have the most money in the bank. 

© Monique Pelser 2022



    




https://www.instagram.com/moniquepelserstudio/

Drawing is by it's very nature process orientated. You start with a mark which becomes a line and develops into an image. Making drawings you are therefore processing. Hi my name is Monique Pelser I am a South African artist, producer, researcher, educator, creative recovery coach and Chi Gong practitioner. 

I teach drawing as a skill as well as a wellness practice to children as well as adults. https://www.facebook.com/doodlesdailydrawings/

On this channel I share the experiences and insights I have gained in my life and research process. 

The methods I use are breathing, drawing and writing and are used to support self-awareness, mindfulness, self-development as well as creative problem solving. I am the co-founder of The Art Of Wellbeing, an organisation working with multi-disciplinary researchers focusing on well-being practices for individuals as well as the corporation.

Comments