The Art of Well-being: Part 4 Magic at hand

It took me a while to understand what my friend Tanya really meant when she told me the story of an epiphany she once had:  

She said she had had the realisation that her hands were a powerful tool. That she could use them to change her environment - transform things. She could take a boring room and make it an interesting room. She could plant a garden. She could cook a yummy meal. I watched her do it again and again; making her environment magical.  I love being in her space.  

I had always thought it took money, but, have come to understand that through creative action it mostly doesn't. Resourcefulness, yes, but not a lot of money.  

I am the kind of person who needs to be told things twice, or a few times more, for it to really land.  And, so after I met my dear friend Inge and witnessed her enthusiasm and power to choose a level of quality she wishes for her life I too started to understand that I had the power of using my mind and hands to make magic. It is not exclusive. Inge really showed me how to boldly take action, to reach goals and seek out and live what you love.  She has created and continues to create magic on a daily basis.

Both of them are magicians for sure, over the years I have witnessed their lives and how they make amazing things happen.  All with the power of their attitude, their imagination, and their ability to act on their ideas.  I am often in awe of what they achieve.  

I am very lucky, to be surrounded by people that teach me that I can in fact change my environment, move to make things more comfortable, playful and towards a world I want to live in.  

The moral of the story is that being open to possibility is free and transformative. You don't have to come from a privileged position to develop this skill.  But give this skill to a child or adult who needs it and you are empowering their future tremendously. 


© Monique Pelser 2022


https://www.instagram.com/moniquepelserstudio/

Drawing by it's very nature is process orientated. You start with a mark which becomes a line and it develops into an image. Making drawings you are therefore processing. My name is Monique Pelser I am a South African artist, producer, researcher, educator, creative recovery coach and Chi Gong practitioner. 

I teach drawing as a skill as well as a wellness practice to children and adults in my doodles sessions.

On this channel I share the experiences and insights I have gained in my life and research process. 

The methods I use are breathing, drawing and writing and are used to support self-awareness, mindfulness, self-development as well as creative problem solving. I am the co-founder of The Art Of Wellbeing, an organisation working with multi-disciplinary researchers focusing on well-being practices for individuals as well as the corporation. 

When you strengthen the individual you strengthen the corporation. When you strengthen the corporation you strengthen the world.


Comments